About Us  Departments/Services  News  Calendar of Events  Contact Us  Resource Library
History

Officially, North Cornwall Township was incorporated in 1929.  However, our story does not begin there.

Around 1750, Steitztown was established and named after George Steitz, the man responsible for the original layout of the area.  Eight years later, Steitztown was renamed Lebanon.  The earliest settlers of this area were German immigrants who farmed the fertile soils of the Lebanon Valley.  It is believed that these German farmers were drawn to this area because of the resemblance to the Rhine Valley, their homeland thousands of miles away from the new world.  Additionally, to the north of the County, Scots-Irish settlers began occupying land at the base of the Blue Mountains.

During that time, the French and Indian war was being waged.  Though historians note that our German ancestors were not directly affected by these conflicts, our Scots-Irish ancestors were.  Due to their proximity to the Blue Mountains, an area Native American enemies used for staging raids, numerous bloody encounters were recorded.  Allies, as well as our own Lebanon Valley residents, vigorously responded to such threats with aggressive defense efforts.

It was in 1853 that the newly formed Cornwall Township was split into two electoral districts, North Cornwall and South Cornwall, which were then incorporated as Townships in 1929.  From our inception through the conclusion of World War II, North Cornwall was predominantly a rural and agricultural area.